Shrewsbury Town 1 - 0 AFC Wimbledon | League One | 24/03/2018


Shrewsbury had missed their chance to overtake Blackburn by playing out a 1-1 draw with Northampton in mid-week.  The game also saw club captain Abu Ogogo sent off for being caught up in a scrap with one of the Northampton players.

With Ogogo serving the first of a four game ban, he was replaced by Stefan Payne which in turn saw the formation tweak to be 4-4-2.

Wimbledon arrived at the Montgomery Waters Meadow flirting with the relegation positions of League One.

MacGillivray; Hendrie, Nsiala, Sadler, Beckles; Whalley (Thomas 80), B Morris, Nolan, Rodman; C Morris (John-Lewis 90+2); Payne (Lowe 89)
Subs: Rowley, Lowe, Thomas, Gnahoua, John-Lewis, Jones; Eisa

Wimbledon: Long; Fuller (Pigottat); Oshilaja; Nightingale; Meades; Francomb; Abou (Kaja 82); Barcham (Parrett 68); Trotter; Forrester; Taylor
Subs: Robinson; Parrett; Soares; Kaja; Kennedy; McDonnell; Pigott

First Half
Wimbledon had the first chance of the day, playing neat passes before the ball was laid on for a midfielder to strike the ball first time, but the shot lacked power and Craig MacGillivray was able to collect the ball at the second attempt.

MacGillivray launched the ball forwards and Carlton Morris nodded the ball on, which Stefan Payne to playing the ball to Alex Rodman. Rodman ran with the ball towards the centre of the field before unleashing a shot that the keeper could only parry. but Payne couldn't make the most of the rebound putting his effort wide.

Second Half
The second half started with Carlton Morris flicking Luke Hendrie's first time cross towards goal, although it was going wide, a defender was on hand to clear the ball.

Carlton Morris also had the next chance, glancing Rodman's cross narrowly wide as he went for subtly when power would have been the better option. Next to have an opportunity to score was Payne, but his header lacked power again and the ball fell comfortably to the goalkeeper.

Shrewsbury got the goal their second half performance deserved, as Luke Hendrie played his third cross in quick succession and the ball ricocheted off Carlton Morris to Payne who tucked the ball away first time.

Alex Rodman was the next to try his luck, picking up the ball after the breakdown of a corner and unleashing a powerful shot that the keeper pushed away, before the attack fizzled out.

Wimbledon had their first meaningful effort after a substitution.  The substitute picked the ball up and beat a man before playing a low cross through the box that their striker tried to back heal into the net, however MacGillivray was alert and on hand to stop the effort.

The only downside to the performance was that Bryn Morris picked up two quick yellow cards and was rightly sent off. The first was for breaking an attack up and taking one for the team, whilst the second was for a silly block right in front of the referee.

Final Thoughts
After an uneventful first half Shrewsbury sprung to life in the second, and it would have been a travesty if they hadn't won - the only downside was Morris' daft sending off.

Man of the Match - Toto Nsiala
I might have chosen a number of players that appeared, as the two Morris' (Bryn and Carlton) played really well and a few other also caught the eye, but I really thought that Toto Nsiala marshalled the Shrewsbury defence well that Wimbledon didn't have many chances of note.

In recent weeks Nsiala has looked more comfortable in League One and cut out the mistakes that arguably overshadowed his performances earlier in the season, which can only be a good thing for Shrewsbury Town.

No comments :

Post a comment