Shrewsbury Town 2 - 0 Scunthorpe United | League One | 30/09/2017

Shrewsbury Town 2 - 0 Scunthorpe United | League One | 30/09/2017

In my absence Shrewsbury had continued their fine form and start to the season, taking 26 out of a possible 30 points. Scunthorpe United had risen to fifth in the league, having only conceded 3 goals in their opening 10 games. Having played some of the bigger clubs and returned with 4 points, this seemed to be another difficult match against a well organised team. I'd be happy with a draw to continue the unbeaten start and remain at the summit of League One.

Shrewsbury: Henderson; Bolton, Nsiala, Sadler, Brown; Whalley (C Morris 75), Ogogo, Godfrey, Nolan (Dodds 80), Rodman (John-Lewis 90+4); Payne
Substitutes: Beckles, Morris, Dodds, Gnahoua, John-Lewis, MacGillivray, Adams

Scunthorpe United: Gilks, Clarke, Wallace, McArdle, Butroid (Adelakun 84), Holmes (van Veen 51), Mantom, Bishop, Morris, Novak, Hopper (Madden 60)
Substitutes: Crofts, Ojo, Madden, van Veen, Adelakun, Burgess, Watson

First Half
Both teams seemed to be cancelling each other out at the start of the first half but on 24 minutes Bolton rose highest and planted a headed towards goal, despite the best efforts of the defence, Stefan Payne was on hand to get the ball over the line from a yard or two out. Shortly afterwards there was an appeal for a Shrewsbury penalty as Whalley darted into the box and had his heals clipped but the referee signalled for a goal kick - this seemed to typify the referee who was being assessed from the sidelines.

There was a flash point after 36 minutes, with John Nolan going in for a 50/50 tackle with a Scunthorpe player (which looked like a foul on him), but he then got up and slide into another tackle with his boots slightly raised. The referee quickly brandished a yellow card for the Shrewsbury man, but Neal Bishop got involved shoving Nolan in the back and taking a swipe at Payne. The referee, under advice from his assistant, produced another yellow, whereas on another day he could easily have sent the Scunthorpe player off. From this moment on, it was easy to tell when Bishop was on the ball as booing echoed around the Montgomery Waters Meadow.

Second Half
The second half saw Scunthorpe having more possession in Shrewsbury's half, however everything that sent towards the Shrewsbury goal, Manchester United loaned Dean Henderson got in the way of. A free kick was punched for a corner, then the corner was cleared by another big punch upfield.

A few minutes later, Junior Brown appeared to be unlawfully pushed off the ball which resulted in another pen appeal, again it wasn't given. Both teams made changes, but it was Shrewsbury's that had the biggest impact as Carlton Morris bagged himself a goal. Ogogo slid in to win the ball high up the pitch, falling to Morris who took on a defender, beating him before placing a left foot shot passed the goalkeeper.

Final Thoughts
2-0 possibly flattered Shrewsbury as Scunthorpe looked organised and it was easy to see why they had the best defence in the league, but it was nice to win a game by more than one goal. The match also saw Shrewsbury's unbeaten start to the season continue, and it's left me questioning just how far the team will go this year.

Man of the Match - Abu Ogogo
Again, Ogogo worked tirelessly for the team, harassing the opposition midfielders and not giving them any time on the ball. This was exemplified by the tackle that set Carlton Morris free to score his goal. Ogogo really appears to be benefitting from having a holding player sat in front of the back four, he now has license to get forward and even managed to have a shot at goal, something I don't remember happening during his time at Shrewsbury.

No comments :

Post a comment