The Last Week (13/03/2017)

Monday - Finally, I got to go back to football and it felt really good to be back. Considering I'd not played for a month, it felt like I hadn't been away. It took a few minutes to recalibrate my feet but I soon found my rhythm and I was really pleased with how the game went in the end, I got a goal and produced a couple of assists, including a reversed dragged pass (if that makes any sense!). Prior to going to football, I snuck in my customary 10 minutes with my son and Nikki before dashing off. I was really proud of how I played considering it had been a number weeks without playing.

Tuesday - A bit of a late start as I was due to drive to Newcastle with work. After collecting my rental car, I was on my way and, i think, it only took me about an hour and a half to miss my turning on the motorway, I was only aware of this when I started seeing signs for Scotland! I eventually cut across the country at Carlisle along the A69. I've got to say, despite being caught between numerous lorries, the journey was beautiful - the sun was out, the scenery was inspiring and it made me proud once again of the country I call home. I finally made it to Newcastle at about 15:00 and I spent a few hours in the office before going to check into my hotel. I'd booked into one close to the Fat Hippo in Jesmond, having been there previously on my last trip to the Toon. Last time I'd had a Gastro burger, this time I opted for a Candy Man burger (Double 4oz patties, topped with cheese, candied bacon and onion jam), onion rings and a vanilla milkshake. Wow, I felt stuffed but it was worth it! I had a brief walk around the local area to catch a new Pokémon, then I retired back to the hotel to watch Die Hard.

Wednesday - I was up and out of the hotel relatively early, at a desk earlier than I normally would be. After a busy day I left the office at 16:30 and made my way to the Metro Centre to grab a quick break before heading home. I really feel that I should add how grateful I was to the staff in the stores I dropped in on, they were all really helpful in pointing me in the direction of where I wanted to get to, and having bought a postcard the assistant directed me to the nearest post box without prompting. A long 4 hours later I finally walked through the door to be greeted by a big cuddle from Nikki. I was shattered after the drive, so after briefly updating each other we called it a night.

Thursday - Still tired from the exhaustion of the previous day, I woke up and returned the hire car back to the rental company before heading in to the office. I know in the past I've had days that I thought I haven't been as productive as my best days, but being so drained made the day harder than it should have been. When I got back to Shrewsbury in the evening, I met up with Nikki to visit our son's nursery for a parents evening. Once again, it was a pleasure to speak to his key-worker as they love him at his nursery. We decided to grab a McDonalds for dinner, as we were late leaving the parents evening - it's going to be disappointing for my son when they change the happy meal toys from Lego Batman. En route home we grabbed some popcorn and a copy of Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' (2016) to watch that night. Having been away from my family for effectively two nights, it felt great to snuggle up and watch a good movie together.

Friday - Despite feeling the effects of the week, I dragged myself into the office for a short day. My dad came with my son to pick me up from the office, and I got greet by an excited 'Daddy!' as I approached the car. Regrettably that was the highlight of the journey as my little boy proceeded to cry and whinge all the way home, apparently for no reason. We spent the evening with my parents, celebrating Saint Patrick's day by having Thai green curry for dinner (obviously!).

Saturday - An early start to take Nikki to the train station  for her to attend BlogconLDN before heading out to Birmingham to go to The Photography Show. You can read my view of the show here. We got home at a reasonable time and grabbed some chips for dinner. It felt so good to see my son again when Nikki got back, as he had spent the last 24 hours with Nikki's parents.

Sunday - We spent the day chilling out after an intense Saturday for the whole family. Me and Nikki watched YouTube as our son napped in the morning before heading out to get some ingredients to bake cakes for Nikki to use in her activity in the coming week. For ease of access to mixers, trays, etc. we made the cupcakes at my parents, using my Mums experience to help make them. Although I kept clear (too many cooks and all that), my son help measure out the ingredients and put the cakes in to cook. It was nice to see him get excited over cooking as it is a passion of mine. In the evening Nikki and I played on 'Lego Marvel Superheroes' until retiring to bed.

No comments :

Post a comment